Private Mixing Course
The Private Mixing Course is a 12 week intensive mixing course designed so that your mixes are evaluated, week by week, through each step in the mixing process. What makes this course different from every other mixing course is that you will submit your mix at each step of the mixing process and you will receive an evaluation of your work before moving on to the next lesson.
The Course can be joined at one of the 2 following membership levels:
- Multi-Track Mix
- Private Instruction
1. Multi-Track Mix: Starting with week 2, you will submit a Multi-Track mix each week demonstrating that week’s lesson (See Compatibility & Requirements below). In return you will receive a screen captured recording of my evaluation that includes a detailed review of your work, track-by-track, plugin-by-plugin.
2. Private Instruction: Starting with week 2, you will begin a series of 10, weekly scheduled, private lessons that are 1.5 hours in length. Using Google Hangouts, I will open your multitrack and we will go through the evaluation using screen-sharing and stereo audio transmission. (See Compatibility & Requirements below) In addition to a detailed evaluation, I will answer your questions and also provide demonstrations where necessary. You will also receive a screen captured recording of the lesson and the saved DAW session file from the lesson.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS…
- View Class #1: All Classes for each week are recorded and available from the Private Mixing Course Launch Page which can be accessed using the “MPG Courses” navigation tab at the top of every web page and selecting “Private Mixing Course” from the list. Each class will contain instructions and demonstrations for that week’s work.
- Study Course Materials: In addition to the live class instructions, each week may also include a series of extra video materials you will be required to watch to enhance your understanding of each step in the mixing process.
- Start Mixing: Begin your mix following the provided instructions. If you have questions, you will be able to email me directly. Do not mix beyond that week’s assignment until your work has been evaluated.
- Submit Your Work: All mixes will be submitted via shared DropBox folder. Each person will have an individual DropBox folder shared only with me.
- Private Lesson or Multi-Track Evaluation: Private Lesson students will have their review at the scheduled lesson time in person. Multi-Track Mix Evaluation students will receive a video evaluation (approximately 30 mins long on average) of their work shared through their DropBox folder. Review the video and make the necessary corrections or adjustments before the next class. Private Lesson students must submit their work before the scheduled lesson.
- View the Next Class Lesson Materials
COMPATIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
ALL Private Mix Membership Levels Should have the Following:
ALL Multi-Track and Private Lesson Students: If your primary plugin bundle is not shown below, please contact me
- Available DAWs
- Pro Tools 10 or above
- Logic X
- Studio One 3
- Ableton Live
- Available Plugins: These are plugins I currently have licenses for. If you do not see your primary plugins listed please contact me.
- Stock DAW Plugins for the DAWs listed above
- Antares (AT8.1, EFX)
- Celemony (Melodyne)
- Eventide (Entire Collection)
- Eiosis (Air EQ, E2 Deesser)
- FabFilter (Entire Collection)
- IK Multimedia (TRacks Deluxe, CSR and Amplitube)
- iZotope (Entire Collection)
- Kush Audio (Entire Collection)
- Lexicon (Entire Collection)
- Native Instruments (Komplete 11 Ultimate)
- Plugin Alliance (Almost Entire Collection)
- Slate Digital (Everything Bundle)
- Sonnox (Elite Bundle)
- Softube (Entire Collection)
- Sound Radix (Entire Collection)
- Sound Toys (Entire Collection)
- Universal Audio (Entire Collection)
- WaveArts (Entire Collection)
- Waves (Entire Collection)
- Assorted Plugins from the following Manufacturers (Audified, Exponential Audio, JST, Klanghelm, LSR, Massey, Melda, Metric Halo, Nomad Factory, Pensadia, Plug and Mix, SSL, UVI, Vahalla )
If you have questions regarding the available DAWs and Plugins listed above, please fill out the Contact form at the bottom of this page with your inquiry.
The Private Mixing Course Includes:
- Multi-Tracks for Mixing Exercises
- Access to Recorded Classes
- Additional Support Videos
- Direct Email Access For Questions
Class 1: Course Instructions and Basic Mix Setup
This class will provide a detailed instructional guide to the Private Mixing Course with some advanced concepts about sound and how people interpret it.
- Course Overview and Instructions
- Hearing, Your Brain, and the 3D Sound Field
- The Hidden Dynamics of a Mix
- Song Meaning, Production Style and Mix Approach
- Gain Staging and Technical Analysis
- Phase Alignment
Class 2: Levels, Panning & Establishing the Groove
This phase of the mixing process establishes everything that is foundational to a great mix. There are many hidden secrets and important decisions to be made at this stage that will establish your approach.
- Levels and Front-Back Depth
- Panning, Width and Spacial Separation
- 4 Types of Tracks (Rhythmic, Melodic, Chordal, Environmental)
- 6 Functions of Tracks (Lead, Counter-Lead, Bed, Groove, Thread, Transitional)
- Establishing the Groove
Class 3: Subtractive Equalization
Subtractive Equalization is the most powerful way to focus instruments, enhance separation, and establish height in a mix.
- Subtractive EQ and Sonic Clarity
- Understanding Filters and Q
- Subtractive EQ and Percussive Instruments
- Subtractive EQ for Harmonic Instruments
- Subtractive EQ for Melodic Instruments and Vocals
Class 4: Functional Compression and Dynamics
Functional Compression is used to help establish the front-back depth field, enhance rhythmic movement (groove), balance peak and RMS energy, and tonally balance poorly recorded tracks.
- Functional Compression: Percussive, Harmonic and Melodic
- Establishing the Front-Back depth Field
- Enhancing Rhythmic Movement
- Peak-RMS Balancing
- Tonal balancing With Compression
Class 5: Additive EQ and Sonic Focus
Additive EQ is used to provide sonic focus and clarity and helps to solidify the Front-Back Depth Field and Height Separation. Additive EQ can be applied pre or post compression.
- Additive EQ and Sonic Clarity
- Additive EQ for Percussive Instruments
- Additive EQ for Harmonic Instruments
- Additive EQ for Melodic Instruments
- Additive EQ for Vocals
Class 6: Harmonic Processing
Vintage Dynamics and Equalization Processing adds harmonic enhancements that add depth, clarity and focus in a way no purely digital processor can. This class will focus on those differences and how to selectively decide where each vintage piece is most effective.
- Vintage Components and Harmonic Enhancements
- Vintage Compressors
- Vintage Equalizers
- Practical Application of Vintage Compression
- Practical Application of Vintage EQ
Class 7: Early Reflections
Early Reflections are defined as the first reflections that arrive at the listener’s position in a space after the direct signal and define the size and shape of any acoustic space. In a mix they are a powerful way to clearly establish the front-back depth field and provide the ‘container’ for reverb and other effects processing.
- The Many Types of Early Reflections
- Early Reflections for Percussive Instruments
- Early Reflections for Harmonic Instruments
- Early Reflections for Melodic Instruments
- Early Reflections for Vocals
Class 8: Reverb and Effects
Reverb and Effects are designed for the creative enhancement of a song. Effects can perform a technical function that is felt or a creative function that is heard. This class will focus on the technical and creative aspects of both.
- Technical and Creative Effects Defined
- Reverb and Effects for Percussive Instruments
- Reverb and Effects for Harmonic Instruments
- Reverb and Effects for Melodic Instruments
- Reverb and Effects for Vocals
Class 9: Parallel Processing
Parallel Processing is a powerful way to enhance density, imaging and add ‘hype’ to a mix. Parallel processing techniques allow for full wet/dry balance control and usually involve exaggerated compression, equalization and distortion processing techniques.
- Types of Parallel Processing
- Parallel Processing for Drums
- Parallel Processing for Harmonic Instruments
- Parallel Processing for Vocals
- Parallel Stem and Mix Buss Processing
Class 10: Automation – Weaving the Mix
Automation is the process of weaving all of the tracks into a well blended, finished mix. Well applied automation should guide the listener’s attention and carry their interest from beginning to end.
- Automation Process Overview
- Establishing the Shape of the Mix
- Automating Primary and Secondary Focus Elements
- Fine Tuning Transition Points
- Automation for Vocals
- Automating Effects
- Mix Buss Automation
Class 11: Final Track, Mix Stem, and Mix Buss Processing
This class will focus on the final polishing elements of the mix including the use of tape emulations and vintage console summing plugins. Mix Stem and Mix Buss processing help to define the individual stem grouping with their effects and the final mix as a whole.
- Final Mix Adjustments
- Analog Tape Processing
- Vintage Console Summing
- Mix Stem Processing
- Mix Buss Processing
Class 12: Evaluations and Final Adjustments and Advice
This class will focus on final mix evaluations including how to deal with client feedback. We will discuss the best way to apply updates and prepare the final mix for mastering.
- Final Mix Evaluations
- Student Mix Evaluations (Yes Your Mix!)
- Managing Mix Updates
- Final Mix Adjustments
- Printing The Final Mix
Due to the time required to manage private lessons and multi-track mix submissions, the Private Mixing Course can only be purchased based on my schedule availability. Upon scheduling approval and completed payment, the course program will begin on a weekly basis without disruption. Please use the contact form below if you are interested and I will answer all questions and propose scheduling times to begin the program.
Multi-Track and Private Instruction members will need to work within the limitations of available DAWs and Plugins listed above.
Multi-Track Mix: $1,250
Private Instruction: $2,000