- Begin by clicking on the Class 1 link and watch the video lessons.
- Continue with Class 2 video lessons.
- Proceed this way through the entire course.
Each of the 8 Classes itemized below includes over 2 hours of detailed information and audio demonstration. The lessons will be divided up into individual videos as listed below. You do not need to attend the Live Classes to participate! All Live Classes will be recorded and available on the website the same evening. You are free to watch each class at your own convenience.
Live classes will begin Thursday, July 6 @ 4 PM US-Pacific Time. Links to the live classes will be provided 30 minutes before the start of class by email.
Class 1: Mix Preparation for Loudness
This class starts by defining loudness. and demonstrates the most common fundamental mix approaches used to create loud mixes.
- Loudness Perception and Measurement
- Online Streaming and Loudness Standards
- Mix Dynamics and Setting Loudness Targets
- Loudness Mixing Technique #1: Dry Mono – Wet Stereo
- Loudness Mixing Technique #2: LCR Mixing
Class 2: Equalization Techniques for Loudness
All frequencies are not created equal. Each frequency area has a specific role to play in the perception of loudness and must be processed accordingly.
- Frequency Target Zones for Loudness
- Vintage & Digital EQ Techniques for Loudness
- 2 Point EQ Techniques
- 3 Point EQ Techniques
- Dynamic EQ Techniques to Achieve Loudness
Class 3: Compression Techniques For Loudness
Compressors are the most powerful tool for controlling the dynamics of music. This does not mean you are necessarily removing the dynamic, but rather, making the dynamic more perceptible by making it more consistent.
- Averaging (RMS) Compression
- Groove and Depth Compression
- Vintage Groove and Depth Compression
- Vintage Limiter Techniques for Loudness
- Digital Limiter Techniques for Loudness
- Compression for Hype and Focus
Tape saturation is a powerful way to preserve warmth and dynamics while achieving loudness characteristic. Distortion processing expands on the creative processing techniques realm.
- Saturation & Distortion Basics
- Multi-Track Tape Saturation
- Selecting a Console Saturation Type
- Applying Analog Console Saturation
- Re-Amping & Distortion Processing
Class 5: Effects Processing for Loudness
Achieving depth with effects is vitally important step in the process of creating a loud mix and master. Whether, wet or dry, the depth created with effects will help to preserve a vital dynamic to keep you mix sounding alive.
- Depth Processing Overview
- Early Reflections and the Depth Field
- Short Room Reverbs for Presence
- Big Space Reverbs for Power and Depth
- Processing Enhancements for Effects
Class 6: Parallel Processing for Loudness
One powerful way to achieve loudness while maintaining control of the dynamics of your mix is to use parallel processing. It allows for quick adjustments to your loudness approach without deconstructing the mix.
- Parallel Processing Overview
- Techniques for Depth and Movement
- Techniques for Density and Solidity
- Techniques for Focus and Hype
- Parallel Saturation Techniques
Class 7: Mix Buss Processing for Loudness (August 17)
Mix stem and Mix Bus processing are the final stages before mastering and the best place to pull together all of the loudness work from the previous techniques. There is always room for loudness here if you need it.
- Mix Stem Processing for Loudness
- Parallel Stem Processing for Loudness
- Mix Bus Processing for Loudness
- Parallel Mix Bus Processing for Loudness
- Mix Bus Limiters
Class 8: Mastering for Loudness (August 24)
Whether you are mastering your own work or not, you must understand these essential mastering techniques. Processing at this level is very different than on the stereo mix buss and it will help to solidify the mix and meet your loudness target.
- Framing the Mix
- Mid Band Compression for Loudness
- Low Level Compression for Loudness
- Tape Saturation and Exciters
- Brick Wall Limiting – Reaching Your Loudness Target
HAVE A QUESTION OR NEED MORE INFO?
PLEASE FILL OUT THIS CONTACT FORM…